CHI candidates should:
- Hold an academic degree
- Be currently employed full- or part-time as a secondary school instructor teaching a hospitality curriculum; or teaching a hospitality work force training program; or be teaching one of AHLEI’s hospitality programs, such as Hospitality and Tourism Management Program (HTMP) or Skills, Tasks, And Results Training (START)
To earn the CHI, you must do the following:
- Successfully complete Level 1 and Level 2 of the CHI self-study materials
- Pass Level 1 and Level 2 exams with a score of 70 percent or higher
- Complete 120 hours of an internship with a hospitality organization
- Be currently employed as a secondary school hospitality instructor or work force program hospitality instructor
How to Apply
Download the Certified Hospitality Instructor (CHI) application.
Download the CHI Internship Verification form.
Submit this form as proof that you have completed the CHI 120-hour internship requirement. This form is also included with the resource materials you receive when you apply for the program.
Resource materials include two custom books, one each for Level 1 and Level 2, and online courses for Level 1 and Level 2. There are 15 hours of online content for Level 1 and 10 hours of online content for Level 2.
Content for the Level 1 and Level 2 material includes:
- Unit 1 Introduction to Hospitality and Guest Service
- Unit 2 Operations
- Unit 3 Finance
- Unit 1 Leadership
- Unit 2 Human Resources
- Unit 3 Sales and Marketing
- Unit 4 Safety and Security
The CHI has two exams, one each for Level 1 and Level 2. You must pass each exam with a score of 70 percent or higher. Exams are only administered online.
For additional information, please contact the Professional Certification Department:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone 407-999-8100 or 888-575-8726 | Fax: 407-236-7848 or 407-999-8610