You qualify for the CHS if you are currently employed in a position where you supervise two or more people, have job duties that are at least 20 percent supervisory in nature and include such tasks as scheduling, training, interviewing, disciplining, inspecting, and conducting performance reviews; makes decisions and judgment calls while performing daily duties; and have input on hiring and firing decisions within a department.
Candidate Time in Position: Current employment in a supervisory position at a hospitality-related business for a minimum of three months (90 days).
Time in position requirement can be eliminated if you meet one of the following conditions:
- One current supervisory, managerial, department head or executive certification
- Completing the Supervisory Skill Builders series
- Degree from an accredited academic institution
How to Apply
- Note: AHLEI recommends you first complete the Supervisory Skill Builders Program (available online and print). Separate fee for resources materials.
- Access the online application
Have the following documents available to upload:
- Current Resume
- Job Description
- Employment Verification Form (signed by your immediate supervisor)
- Copy of diploma or transcripts
- Complete payment
Download the Certified Hospitality Supervisor (CHS®) application.
When you are ready to take the exam online, contact AHLEI’s Certification Department to have the exam sent to your proctor.
A proctor may be a CHA, CHS, a hospitality educator, an AHLA member association executive, your immediate supervisor or a member of the clergy. Your designated proctor cannot be a relative.
The CHS exam has 100 multiple-choice questions that must be answered within two hours. The test questions test your mastery of competencies derived from the following nine key areas of knowledge:
- Time Management
- Effective Communication
- Problem Solving and Conflict Resolution
- Orientation and Training
- Motivation and Team Building
- Staffing and Scheduling
- Improving Employee Performance
Multiple Staff Members
To order this program for your property to train multiple staff members, contact our sales team.
For additional information, please contact the Professional Certification Department:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone 407-999-8100 or 888-575-8726 | Fax: 407-236-7848 or 407-999-8610