This quickSTART study guide is the preparation material for the Certified Kitchen Cook and is intended for on-the-job training. The trainer resource is the START for Kitchen Cook Instructor Guide.
The quickSTART study guide is divided into three sections for the trainee:
- Knowledge that all hospitality employees need
- Knowledge specific to the Kitchen Cook position
- Skills Validation List
The quickSTART Skills Validation List can be used during on-the-job training in a work or learning lab setting. Upon successful completion of each training topic, the trainer observes the trainee as they demonstrate the tasks to meet property standards. The Kitchen Cook training covers 18 key areas, including:
- Explaining how to use basic kitchen tools and equipment, including knives
- Converting standard recipes based on portion size and number of portions
- Handling special guest situations, including substitutions
- Demonstrating basic kitchen safety and sanitation guidelines
The training package includes:
- Study Guide
- Certification exam scan sheet
Successful candidates who complete the quickSTART program and pass the 30 multiple-choice Certified Kitchen Cook exam with a score of 70% or higher will receive a certificate and lapel pin.