Introducing a new credential for employees looking to launch a career in hospitality. Apply to earn your Hospitality and Tourism Specialist credential. Available July 2021 to hospitality professionals who have at least 100 hours of experience and are able to sit for the HTS exam.
Be recognized for your understanding of the industry and foundational skills and knowledge in the areas of lodging, food and beverage operations, event management, attractions and tourism.
All working hours submitted are subject to approval by AHLEI, the applicant employer and/or an approved instructor/proctor.
Experience hours requirements:
- 100 hours working in any role in a segment of hospitality: lodging, food & beverage operations, tourism, travel and transportation, event management or attractions
- Hours must have been earned within 5 years of taking the exam.
Acceptable alternative/supplemental work experience
- Up to 20 hours may be fulfilled by experience in a customer service role outside of hospitality
- Up to 50 hours may be fulfilled by completion of simulation training using an approved hospitality simulation program
- Hours may include unpaid internships or “shadow” experiences so long as they have been verified by a professional working in the hospitality industry
- Hours may include volunteer work in the field of hospitality
Please note, acceptability of simulation alternatives may be subject to change.